Saturday, April 12, 2008

Natalie's Birthday

Well, unless Natalie decides to come sometime before Monday, her birthday will be April 14, 2008! At our doctor appointment yesterday, the doctor did all the normal stuff (measure my stomach, listen to her heartbeat, etc.), but then he also decided to strip my membranes (to try to start contractions) and feel about how big my pelvis is. When he was finished he said that my pelvis is on the small side and that because the baby is big we had a couple of options to choose from:

1. We could wait and see if anything happened after stripping my membranes. If I did go into labor and started having problems because her shoulders were larger than my pelvis, they would do an emergency C-section at that time. If this was the case, there could be a possibility that she could end up with some kind of nerve/brain damage because of the pushing involved.

2. Schedule an ultrasound for next Friday to see how much she has grown and if she was over 5000 mg and hadn't been born yet, they would do a C-section at that point.

3. Or, what we decided to do - schedule a C-section as soon as possible. This way there will be no damage from trying to push her wide shoulders through my narrow pelvis!

Although I would have preferred to deliver naturally for my first pregnancy, I also want to do what would be the best for both me and Natalie in the long run.

So, on Monday morning at 11:00am, I will be having a C-section at Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids! I will be in the hospital for approximately four days. I would love to have visitors while I am there (visiting hours are from around 9:00am to 7:00 or 8:00pm - depending on how I feel!).

Love,
Melissa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa,
Just checked your site today. Natalie is a beatiful name. Can't wait to see the pictures. Will be praying for you.

Love
Sarah Boswell