Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What a scare!

The past few days have been quite interesting. On Monday evening I started having cramps and thought it was maybe digestion problems, so didn't really worry about it. Then, on Tuesday they happened again in the late afternoon. I decided to call my clinic and they told me I needed to go to Labor and Delivery at the hospital to make sure I wasn't in pre-term labor.

So, I went to Mercy and they hooked me up to some monitors for the baby's heartbeat and to monitor contractions, if there were any at all. The baby's heartbeat was strong and she was also moving - a lot! The monitor showed some minor contractions that the nurse said were probably just me moving or the baby kicking and moving in me. She did some tests to make sure that I didn't have a bladder infection and to check if I had started dilating at all. We found out that I don't have a bladder infection and I hadn't started dilating yet. The nurse also did another test (called a fetal fibronection test) to double check that I am not dilated and to see if I have an infection at all. I will find out the results of that test this Friday at my follow-up doctor appointment.

We are so glad that the baby is healthy and nothing is wrong. It was very scary to think we could have lost her or that she could have come almost three months early!

Thank you God for protecting our sweet Natalie Rose!

- Melissa

1 comment:

The Three 22nds said...

There is very little worse than laying in that triage area waiting to find out if everything is ok! We are thankful with you that the baby is healthy...